打印 上一主题 下一主题

Two quick rules for when you find a bug

[复制链接]

该用户从未签到

跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2006-3-4 11:53:31 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/3338

Two quick rules for when you find a bug...
Submitted by Mike Kelly on Thu, 02/03/2006 - 00:11. heuristics
Last week I was working on an article for InformIT. As part of the article, I was testing Google Earth using heuristic test oracles (which happens to be what the article is about).

In the course of my testing, I came across an interesting bug where Google Earth lost resolution (the picture became fuzzy when I zoomed in). When I had started my testing, zoom was crystal clear. Indianapolis was a bright shinny city!

Towards the end of my writing session, after switching back and forth between my article and Google Earth repeatedly while doing my testing, I noticed that resolution was not what it once was. Indianapolis was now dull and blurry. Not at all like I remembered it. My inconsistent with purpose heuristic kicked in. I now had another bug for my article!

By this point, I had a good list of bugs. Four or five I think - a good number for an article. But this bug was a beauty! It affected the largest piece of functionality in Google Earth - rendering a map.

Enter the two rules for when you find a bug…

Rule number one: Don’t get cocky(自大)

I had spent about a total of ten minutes actually testing and I had a nice list of bugs. I was feeling good:

“What do those guys at Google know that I don’t know? Hah! I rock!”
Well, as it turns out, they probably know quite a bit more then I do, because I then made an amateur mistake due to my over confidence. A silly mistake that cost me my prize catch. I figured since I had found the others so easy, and clearly I had found this one, I could reproduce the bug. I even thought I knew what the problem was.

I closed Google Earth and restarted it. I tested for about 20 minutes. Nothing. No dice. I tried everything I tried before. No good.

#%!*$

Rule number two: Take a screenshot

Because I didn’t follow rule number two, I am now writing about an experience where I made a mistake instead of writing about my cool Google Earth bug I found. All I needed was a screenshot. Simple proof. Maybe not permissible in court, but certainly permissible in blogs - earning me valuable testing “street credit.”

Oh well…

Keep in mind that rule number two can be a bit more involved then taking a screenshot. Anything that sets the scene of the crime is good to keep: log files, screenshots, data used, system state, video, DNA samples - whatever. Stay humble and collect the evidence. You’ll end up using it in your defect report either way…
分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏
回复

使用道具 举报

该用户从未签到

2#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-3-4 11:57:09 | 只看该作者
其实这两个原则很简单,但做起来往往会忘记。一旦忘记可能就和不少很难发现的bug擦肩而过了(说不定会后悔一辈子,哈哈)
BTW:看了这篇文章,我也去下了一个google earth玩,hoho。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

该用户从未签到

3#
发表于 2006-3-9 11:04:49 | 只看该作者
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|51Testing软件测试网 ( 沪ICP备05003035号 关于我们

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 05:11 , Processed in 0.070446 second(s), 27 queries .